Volunteer at the Food Bank
We are currently welcoming volunteer groups of 4-12 individuals on the following days and times. This is a perfect opportunity for a small corporate group looking for a team building opportunity.
- Tuesdays from 9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Tuesdays from 12:30 p.m. – 3 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Wednesdays from 12:30 p.m. – 3 p.m.
- Fridays from 9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Volunteers will be working on box packing projects, which involves standing and moving throughout the shift, occasional lifting of boxes up to 35 pounds, and being detail oriented. Please note that all volunteers must be at least 14 years old.
If you would like a list of shifts available for groups of 4-12 volunteers through March, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator here.
Court-Ordered Community Service:
The Food Bank does not have court-ordered community service opportunities. To get a list of organizations that do, please contact the United Way of Rhode Island by calling 2-1-1 from any phone.
Volunteer at a Member Agency
The 140 member agencies of the Food Bank rely on volunteers to meet the needs of their guests. Check out some of the opportunities available and contact them directly to get involved.
Lighthouse Community Food Pantry
Lighthouse Community Food Pantry currently has the following volunteer opportunities:
- Volunteers needed on Monday mornings around 11:00 a.m. to assist with retail pick up at BJ’s Wholesale in Johnston.
- Volunteers will be loading items to be delivered to the food pantry.
- Volunteers needed on Monday afternoons at the food pantry at 30 Meeting Street in Cumberland from approximately 3:30-6:30 pm during weekly operating hours.
- Duties include loading groceries for pantry guests, restocking shelves, and lifting bags, boxes and other food items from a truck and stocking the pantry area.
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older
- Volunteers must be able to lift up to 30lbs
- This agency prefers that volunteers be vaccinated.
If you are interested in helping out on Mondays at either location, please contact Bill Pugsley at (401) 767-6410.
Central Falls Food Pantry at Progresso Latino
CFFP currently has the following volunteer opportunities:
- Volunteers needed on Mondays and Wednesdays for the following shifts:
- 8-10 a.m. to help with set up in the pantry
- 10am-1pm to help with food distribution to pantry guests
- 12-2 p.m. to help with clean up in the pantry
- This agency requires that masks be worn at all times while volunteering.
If you are interested in helping out, please email Dominga at email@example.com for more information.
Federal Hill House
Federal Hill House in Providence has two volunteer opportunities currently available at both 35 Swiss Street and 261 Manton Ave:
- Volunteers are needed Tuesday – Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for various tasks including packing bags for distribution to families and stocking shelves (requires ability to lift up to 40 lbs.). Short and longer shifts available!
If you are interested in helping out, please contact Libby Lubera at firstname.lastname@example.org or 401.362.5558 for more information. Volunteers must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination and wear masks while on site. Spanish-speaking volunteers are also welcome!
Jonnycake Center of Westerly
Jonnycake Center of Westerly has the following opportunities currently available:
- Looking for an opportunity to get out of the house and do some good? The Jonnycake Food Pantry is seeking motivated can-doers to help round out our volunteer staff! Volunteers get to work in a rewarding, supportive environment, and those who work above a minimum number of hours get discounts in our Thrift Store!
Ready to volunteer? Email email@example.com or visit jonnycake.org/volunteer to get started!
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center
The MLK Center in Newport has several ongoing volunteer opportunities.
For more information, please contact Nancy Harten via email – NHarten@MLKCCenter.org – or call (401) 846-4828 x103. Or you can complete an online volunteer application form here.
St. Raymond’s Church Food Pantry
St. Raymond’s in Providence currently has the following volunteer opportunities:
- Volunteers needed on Saturday mornings from approximately 8:30-11:30 a.m. The food pantry is open to guests from 9-11 a.m.
- Volunteers needed on Thursday mornings from approximately 9:00-11:00 a.m. to assist with unloading weekly order from the Food Bank
- Duties include selecting and bagging groceries for clients and restocking shelves, and lifting bags, boxes and other food items from a truck and stocking the pantry area.
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older
- Volunteers must be able to lift 10-25lbs
- This agency prefers that volunteers be vaccinated. Masks are required at all times in the pantry.
- This agency does not accommodate court-ordered community service hours.
If you are interested in helping out on one or more Thursday or Saturday per month, please contact Jeb Butler at (401) 323-8305.
To stay informed, please sign up for our eNews.