Mission & Vision/Our Work
We envision a state where no one goes hungry.
To improve the quality of life for all Rhode Islanders by advancing solutions to the problem of hunger.
We believe in……
- Compassion: We approach our work with empathy, understanding and respect for the diverse communities we serve.
- Fostering Health: We want all Rhode Islanders to have access to healthy food because good nutrition is essential for good health.
- Innovation: We are flexible and responsive to the changing needs of the community. We lead by finding creative ways to prevent and reduce food insecurity.
- Collaboration: We know we cannot end hunger alone. We succeed in partnership with others and strive to include a rich tapestry of voices in our work.
- Accountability: We deliver outstanding service and high quality programs, effectively and efficiently. We steward our resources with integrity and transparency.
Since 1982, the Rhode Island Community Food Bank has solicited, stored and distributed surplus food and grocery products to qualified member agency programs that serve Rhode Island's hungry. Millions of pounds of donated food and nonfood household products are distributed to the community through our network of 167 member agency food programs across Rhode Island.
The Food Bank also serves Rhode Islanders in need through the following programs:
- Community Kitchen, a food service training course. Community Kitchen students prepare meals for the Kids Cafe, which serves evening meals to children at risk of hunger.
- Community Cooking: Wholesome Eating on A Budget is a nutrition education program for food pantry clients designed to empower them to make healthier choices on a limited budget.
- Community Farms grow fresh produce for hungry Rhode Islanders while preserving valuable land with the assistance of a corps of dedicated volunteers.